Planning is quite important for individuals as it is for multinational companies. It helps to chart a course for the next year and determine where and how efforts and resources will be directed. It also provides individuals and corporations a roadmap for decision making in the new year.
So here are five tips to help you Plan a successful new year.
1. Know the current state of your Life or Business. The first thing we need to do when planning for the next year is to take some time to think and reflect on what we've done so far and what we've achieved. We should review our goals and measure our achievements properly. We are then able to point out outstanding goals that needs to be rolled over into the new year. This helps us to accurately describe and assess where we are now. It provides a starting point from which we can effectively plan the next year.
2. Define what you want. After reviewing and reflecting on the previous year, the next thing to do is to define your goals for the next year. Have a Vision for the year. You could use a pen and a book or even a notepad on your phone to make a list of things you want to achieve based on your values and priorities. Whatever it is, it is important that you note it down somewhere.
3. Break it down into chunks. Defining your goals isn't enough, you should also break them down into smaller and achievable chunks. For instance, if you want to write a book in the new year, you can break it down into one paragraph or page a day. If you want to lose weight, you could decide to take a walk or exercise for 20 minutes daily. When you break your goals down like this, it becomes easier to work on and achieve.
4. Resolve to be committed to your goals. Having defined what you want to achieve and how you'll go about it, it is important that you firmly resolve to be fully committed to achieving them. Be self-motivated. Develop discipline and consistency. Goals are useless if we don't commit ourselves to achieving them.
5. Be action oriented. To see your goals and dreams for yourself, family, business and career come to a reality this new year, you have to get up and work at it. Be determined to work "Really Hard" like your success depends on it, cos it really does. Be the hardest worker in the room. Get up, get started and keep moving. Don't wait until the perfect time cos there won't be any. You might as well make Nike's tagline your motto for the year; Just do it!
Have a successful year!